Sunday, March 25, 2012

Satisfying clean-up

There is a big tan two-family house around the corner from my house.  It has a small front yard/planting strip in front of it, and then the sidewalk, and the street.  I've only seen one person who lives there -- an older lady and her two dogs.  Trash has been accumulating in the planting strip all winter (in fact, there has never been a time when trash hasn't been accumulating there), and nobody has cleaned it up, despite the mild winter and recent summer-like weather we've had.










I walk by the house daily with Walter, and I got to the point where I just couldn't look at all of that trash any more.  I decided to just clean it up.  I pulled our trash can over to the beige house, and started picking up and raking up trash.  I was a little worried about someone coming out of the house, because I didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Sure enough, the lady with the dogs opened up the door while I was working.  I tried to convey that I just had some free time and I figured I'd take a few minutes and pick up some trash.  She said she was planning on picking it up on Wednesday.  Now, I got the impression that this lady is a little slow and confused.  She's going to pick up the yard on Wednesday the way I'm planning to throw my hat into the ring of the Republican Presidential race.  But anyway, I just said I figured someone was going to, but I had time on my hands, etc.  She said thank you and I said no problem.

I wish I had told her that I don't have a yard so it's nice to do a little yard work, because that might have made her feel better about it, but I didn't think of it until too late.  Anyway, I think she felt fine about it, and so did I, so I think it was a good thing all around.  And look at the big difference it made!










Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a good samaritan you are!!! Maybe you should say that you are doing neighborly good deeds, as a devoted humanitarian and long time democrat. I was laughing and laughing at the thought of you throwing your hat in the ring! Her "earth area" looks soooooooo much better. What an incredible difference. Good job. I bet the kids are proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Making it nicer for her as well as for everyone else walking by. This past weekend I saw -so- much plastic & gunk in roadside ditches all over. Even remote rural roads with only a few houses. Got me down. Then I see this and realize that things can be made better & clean again. Thx!

    ReplyDelete